Saturday, May 21, 2022

Dog owner devastated after pet dies from suspected poisoning

Subscribe Today

Read the full article.

Full story inside this week’s print edition or Login/subscribe to access our Digital Edition & App

A Dundonald  woman has spoken of her devastation after losing her beloved pet to suspected poisoning. When eight year-old Finn, a Cavalier King Charles, passed away on Monday, his owner Kirsten was left absolutely heartbroken. Finn had gone for his usual walk at Billy Neill Country Park, located between Comber and Dundonald, last Saturday, where it is believed he was subject to poisoning. Shortly after, Finn went off his food before ‘rapidly’ going downhill just two days later. Kirsten explained how after his walk, Finn went off his food and so she decided to give him a day to come around, as she had seen him go off his food before. “But then on Sunday he was still off his food and we were getting worried,” she continued. “So mum phoned the vets on Monday to take him up and come Monday he was unresponsive. He was breathing but he just wasn’t with it anymore.” The vets told Kirsten they believed that Finn had been poisoned which then led to sepsis, which ultimately led to his death. Kirsten noted that while they could not be 100% sure that he had been poisoned at the park, she noted that it was the last place he had been before declining that weekend and pointed out that dog poison had been found there before. “He just went downhill. There was nothing there and he wasn’t able to fight it off,” she said, filled with emotion. “On Sunday he was still off his food and we were getting worried. So mum phoned the vets on Dog owner devastated after pet dies from suspected poisoning Monday to take him up and come Monday he was unresponsive. He was breathing but he just wasn’t with it anymore.” Describing her much loved family pet, Kirsten said: “He was just my baby. He was cuddly, loveable and friendly. Nobody could walk past him without stopping to tell us how beautiful he was. He just loved attention.” She continued: “We would have taken him for a big walk in the morning and if he was dying to get out we would take him in the evening time.” Although she can’t be sure of the circumstances around Finn’s death, Kirsten wanted to keep other dog walkers alert and aware of dangers when walking their pets. “We are not sure, but we wanted to keep people alert that this is and can still be happening at Billy Neill [country park],” she stated. She warned walkers to keep an eye on what their dogs were sniffing and eating when they were out and to take extra vigilance if they were off the lead. She also wanted to keep owners aware of the telltale signs that a dog may be unwell, noting that these included if they were off their food and water, as well as being lethargic. Kirsten also pointed out that certain household items could be dangerous to dogs, such as items containing Xylitol, which can be found in common items such as peanut butter and sweeteners. Completely heartbroken by the loss of her family pet, Kirsten said if she could address those responsible, she would tell them of the devastation they were causing. “It was unexpected. He was healthy otherwise for a cavalier. He was a big brute, he was fine,” she said. “Finn had gone off food before and the next would eat you out of house and home. But he didn’t come round this time.”

More articles

This website uses cookies. Using this website means you are okay with this. You can find out more and learn how to manage cookies by clicking the 'More Info' link.

error: Content is protected !!